So last nights entry was cut short by a sudden desire to do anything but think any longer about the thoughts that were rumbling around my head. My questions about the purpose of menstrually induced emotional cartwheeling and what purpose it serves. I likened it to a yo-yo, that does its tricks everyday but occassionally needs to feel its limits, roll all the way down and all the way back up. Maybe that is how women are, they are so emotionally responsive all the time because its tied in to the care they give the people in their lives, that once a month they need to feel it all, in order to reset their emotionally equillibrium? hmm maybe just one L.
It also makes me wonder whether the attitude that women's menstrual issues are slower in development because they are mainly the concern of women, and that those types of concerns were typically ignored by the male dominated medical industry. It could be a little conspiracy paranoid, but there could be some truth there. So if we give it the benefit of the doubt, then we should see the recent development of the Pill that helps relieve these emotionally and physical symptoms of menstruation as a triumph for both women and the medical community... or if we are again leaning on the cynical side, we could see it as the medical industry looking to expand and drain more money out of the population by finally tackling a "female" problem.
BUT
Another part of me wonders about the natural benefit to these symptoms. Maybe without this monthly emotional juggernaut women would be less sensitive or begin to lose touch with the vitality that comes with a passionate life.
So long women have been branded as weak because of the strength they give to their emotions. They are deemed illogical because of the value placed on sentimentality and feeling. But I'm torn. Are these medical developments an exciting development in bringing women into a more equal medical world, or should women be wary of compromising such a natural process unduly.
Trust me, the first day of my period is terrible for me, so much so that I seek out medication to ease the cramps. And during my last period they got so bad (once the original dose of meds wore off) that I ended up throwing up because of the convulsions. So I understand (to a degree) the physical torment that comes with monthly menstruation. But I also don't like to take medication for symptoms I either don't have, or don't prioritize.
Do I want to go to work on the days in which I have my period? No. But as long as I'm not physically being tortured by cramps- I can handle the emotional swing. If anything, during the worst bouts of rage I demonstrate a level of self-control that is probably very valuable at other times when I'm emotionally strained.
I'm not saying that women should suffer because it gives them character, no not really. Truthfully I wouldn't wish anyone to suffer unduly, and really that is what it becomes a question of. But I know how strongly the Pill can influence hormones and emotions. The whole time I was on the Pill I experienced the emotional swing typically confined to just the few days of the month of menstruation. I don't know how people survived. So I am wary, now as I once was of their negative influence on my natural chemistry.
Well that was a lot about that.
So its spring now, and I'm wearing skirts because I have dearly missed them. So I will probably freeze my kurtuckin off. ;-)
I have a big final interview tomorrow. I'm really hoping that it goes as well as the others have gone, because I'd really like to be working.
And this weekend we move into the new house. I'm going to miss this place, but not as much as I'll be glad to have a bedroom!
Easter was lots of fun. the girls came over and I played mom because she had the flu. I decorated cupcakes with isabelle, sabrina, and molly. Josh wasn't into it as much as he just wanted to eat them. heh Oh thank heaven for little boys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment